This walking route will allow you to explore Little Venice and guide you along Regent’s Canal until you reach Camden Lock.
Check out our article with information regarding what you will see along this walking route here: Guide to Little Venice.
Walking Route from Little Venice to Camden Lock
Estimated time and Distance
The route will probably take you 1 – 2 hours if you walk it at a leisurely pace admiring the beautiful surroundings of Little Venice. We have named a few places where you may want to stop for a coffee, which will add a little time obviously. The idea is for you to start your day exploring Little Venice and Regent’s Canal, and then heading towards Camden Lock, where you can visit Camden Market.
Distance: Approximately 3 miles.
From Little Venice to Camden Lock route in detail
- This walking route starts at Paddington underground station (London Travel Zone 1). When you get to Paddington Station you will see that there are several exits. We’d recommend that you follow the exit signs to “Grand Union Canal”, as this will take you directly to where we want to go. Alternatively, you could also consider starting this route at Warwick Avenue underground station (London Travel Zone 2) if this station is more convenient for you.
- Once we exit Paddington Station through the Grand Union Canal exit, you will find yourself already admiring the Grand Union Canal and some beautifully decorated canal boats. Turn left as you exit the station, walking past several boats that have been converted into cafes / restaurants on the canal.
- You will also come across the Paddington Bear Statue.
- You can continue walking alongside the canal and see the Waterside Cafe before you cross the blue bridge.
- From here we would recommend that you visit a hidden gem in Little Venice: Clifton Nurseries. Just follow the road called Clifton Villas and maybe consider the cafe that’s available in this fantastic historic garden centre if you’re feeling a bit peckish.
- From Clifton Nurseries, just walk back towards the canal, and start walking alongside Regent’s Canal in the direction of Camden Lock.
- This walk is wonderful, you will walk through an area where typical narrow canal boats are moored.
- You will get to a point where you can no longer walk along Regent’s Canal – but don’t worry, you will just need to walk alongside the road for a couple of minutes until you find some steps that will take you back down to the canal walk. Just follow the signs (or our map which you’ll find below!).
- As you walk along Regent’s Canal you will go past London Zoo and Regent’s Park. There is also a floating Chinese restaurant which will definitely catch your eye!
- You will eventually reach Camden Lock. Here you will have the opportunity to explore Camden Market.
Hire a bike
You could also consider hiring a bike to cycle along the canal. Check out: Santander Cycles London
Take a boat tour
There are two companies that allow you to travel along Regent´s Canal on board a traditional narrow boat, in either direction with services between Little Venice and Camden Lock. These companies are the London Waterbus company and Jason´s Trip (this boat trip is included for free in the London Pass).
However, these boat trips are very popular and can become very busy, especially during weekends and high season. It’s worth checking their websites and even booking beforehand if you want to get tickets.
From Little Venice to Camden Lock Map